More and more grocery stores in the US are beginning to stock farro. However, you may need help with where to find farro in grocery store. That’s because there’s no standard aisle where all stores stock farro, which makes locating this item extremely difficult.
There are several possible locations to find farro in the grocery store. The aisle for whole grains is the first place to look when locating farro in the grocery store. Some stores stock farro in the natural or organic foods aisle, health foods aisle, rice aisle, or bulk foods section.
What Is Farro?
Farro is the collective term for three ancient wheat grains: spelt, emmer, and einkorn.
An excellent source of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, farro has been cultivated in parts of the Middle East and the Mediterranean for thousands of years.
In terms of appearance, farro is similar to barley, though bigger and more oblong.
Farro is versatile and easy to prepare, making it adaptable to many cuisines. These ancient grain species figure prominently in Mediterranean diets.
Where to Find Farro in Grocery Store
Grocery stores are increasingly stocking farro. However, they all keep them in different aisles, making it difficult to know where to find farro in the grocery store.
Typically, most grocery stores keep farro in the whole grains aisle. However, that’s not always the case.
It’s not uncommon for grocery stores to stock farro in the rice blends aisles. Others will keep it in the natural or organic food sections.
If you want to purchase farro in bulk, you probably won’t have any luck with any of the aisles mentioned above.
You might have to search in a different section. Usually, stores that sell bulk farro keep it in the bulk items aisle.
Where Can I Buy Farro in the US?
Now that you know what aisle farro is, the next question is which stores sell farro in the US.
Many grocery stores, whole foods, organic food vendors, etc., are increasingly stocking farro.
If you are in the United States, you can probably buy farro at any of the following stores:
- Whole Foods. Whole Foods is a subsidiary of ecommerce giant Amazon specializing in products free of artificial colours and hydrogenated fats. If you are looking for farro, you will most likely find it here.
- Walmart. Head to the grain aisle at your local Walmart for a pack of farro. You can buy farro from the grocery store chain’s Great Value brand if you want a cost-effective option. Of course, other brands exist, including Nature’s Earthly Choice and Roland.
- Amazon. You can also buy farro online via Amazon. The ecommerce platform is an excellent option if you are looking to buy bulk farro. You can compare prices from different vendors to get the best offer.
- Trader Joe’s. If a Trader Joe’s is near you, you don’t have to worry about where to find farro. Just pop in and head to the aisle with dry pasta and grains.
- Safeway. As one of the country’s largest food and drug retailers, Safeway also stocks farro. Here, you can shop a wide range of farro brands, including Village Harvest, Bartolini, Bob’s Red Mill, and more.
- Target. Target is your one-stop shop for everything from groceries and essentials, including farro. You can find the Simply Balanced Farro in Target’s pasta and grain aisle.
- Local Health Food Stores. If you are looking for farro, look at your local health food store. Most health food stores offer bulk farro as well as packaged farro.
As you can see, there are many places to purchase farro. Virtually any grocery store, health food store, Whole Foods, etc., stocks farro.
You can even buy farro online on Amazon or other ecommerce stores.
How Do You Eat Farro?
You are in luck if you are looking for ways to prepare and consume farro. Farro is a versatile and adaptable food.
There are many great ways to make farro, including:
- A farro risotto. Farro is an excellent alternative to the traditional risotto grain, Arborio rice.
- Use it in soups. You can use farro to make all kinds of soups, including vegan chilli, lentils, and minestrone.
- Make a bowl of farro grain. A bowl of farro is one of the simplest and most nutritious meals.
Health Benefits of Farro
Farro is a highly nutritious grain rich in protein, fibre, and other nutrients.
This ancient grain can do much good for your body when consumed regularly. Here are a few health benefits of farro.
Improves blood cholesterol level
Incorporating farro into your regular diet can help improve your blood cholesterol levels. Farro combines with LDL cholesterol — which causes heart disease — in the GI tract during digestion.
The farro and the bad cholesterol are expelled from the body as faecal matter.
Regulates blood glucose level
Like most whole grains, farro has a very high fibre content. The dietary fibre in the ancient grain slows down glucose absorption in the digestive tract.
The slow digestion of farro prompts a more gradual rise in blood sugar.
Improves digestive health
Consuming farro can improve your digestive health if you have digestive issues like irregular bowel movements.
For the most part, dietary fibre is insoluble. The insoluble fibre absorbs water, making the stool bulkier and softening it. The bulkier stool is easier to pass, preventing constipation.
Supports weight loss
In addition to improving digestive health, the fibre in farro plays an essential role in weight loss.
As mentioned earlier in the article, fibre slows down the passage of food in the digestive tract.
Fibre slows day fuel absorption in the body and bloodstream, slowing down how the body responds to the carbs you consume.
Easy Farro Recipes To Try!
Life can be hectic and the last thing you want to do at the end of the day is slave in the kitchen making dinner. Today, I am sharing easy farro recipes that are delicious and will be ready quickly. Leaving you with time to spend quality time with your loved ones! Enjoy!
1. Farro Salad with Feta
This farro salad is a fresh and colorful blend of grains, vegetables, olives, feta cheese and herbs, all tossed in a homemade dressing. An easy and unusual salad that’s healthy and can be made in advance. Make it here.
2. Farro Salad with Caramelized Onions
This delicious Warm Farro Salad comes filled with caramelized onions, roasted eggplant, spinach, sweet grapes, feta cheese, and drizzled with the creamiest walnut mustard dressing. Flavorful and healthy, it’s my absolute favorite way to enjoy this hearty grain. Recipe.
3. Fish and Farro Bowls
Easy to make, light and super fresh, Fish and Farro Bowls are simple but filled with flavor. Cod filets and summer vegetables are tossed in taco seasoning and served over farro and garnished with cilantro, lime and avocado. Here’s how to do it perfectly.
4. Greek Chicken and Lemon Soup with Farro
In this recipe, We’ve taken a favorite soup flavor, lemony Greek avgolemono, and turned it into hearty dinner main dish with the addition of chewy farro, healthy zucchini, and shredded chicken. Make it!
5. Roasted Veggie Farro Bowl Recipe with Arugula
If you’re looking for a quick and easy lunch, you have to try this Roasted Veggie Farro Bowl. Healthy comfort food at it’s finest. Recipe.
6. Santorini Farro Salad (The Cheesecake Factory Copycat)
This delicious salad is made with farro, beets, cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion and Feta cheese in a balsamic vinaigrette. It’s a filling dish with bold flavors. Make it!
7. Italian Farrotto with Sun-Dried Tomatoes
Italian Farrotto with Sundried Tomatoes is a quick and easy one pan dinner and a healthier version of risotto. Here’s the recipe.
8. Farro Con Gandules (Farro with Pigeon Peas)
Farro Con Gandules is a riff on Puerto Rican Arroz con Gandules. With the same amazing flavors, yet packed with more protein and fiber. Recipe.
9. Kale and Farro Salad with Roasted Butternut Squash
This simple hearty kale and farro salad with roasted butternut squash is tossed in a sweet and savory maple dijon vinaigrette. Make it here.
10. Citrus Winter Farro Salad
This Citrus Farro Salad is a refreshing blend of juicy oranges, nutty farro, and roasted brussels sprouts all tossed in a zesty citrus dressing that will make your taste buds dance with delight. Recipe.
11. Smoky Red Pepper and Farro Soup with Feta
This hearty Smoky Red Pepper and Farro Soup with Feta is made with lots of pantry ingredients such as roasted red peppers, farro, and chickpeas, then topped with feta and parsley. Make it!
12. Feta Farro Salad
Bright Mediterranean inspired flavors make this feta farro salad a perfect main dish for a light meal, or a refreshing side. This farro salad is delicious, bright, and beautiful. Recipe.
13. Farro with Shrimp, Bacon, Mushrooms and Spinach
A hearty, flavorful dish with farro, shrimp, bacon, mushrooms and spinach. Make it here.
14. Farro Soup with Meatballs
This hearty farro soup recipe is filled with turkey meatballs, white beans and kale. It’s the perfect easy and nutritious dinner option! Recipe
Try the aisles if you are unsure where to find farro in the grocery store. The whole grains aisle is your best bet.
If you can’t find it there, try the bulk aisle, organic foods section, rice blends and dry pasta aisle.
Wayne J. is a writer and editor for Mybeautifulhaven.com. He is happy to put in the time and effort to conduct thorough market research to identify common issues faced by households concerning their plumbing systems and other household fixtures. His passion is to help you solve the most pressing issues you are facing in your home and recommend the best products available on the market.